Applications are invited for Indira Gandhi Post Graduate Scholarship 2021 for Single Girl Child.
About the Scholarship
It is observed that number of girls as against boys in certain states is declining which is a matter of great concern. The females are even forced to give birth to male child. In such circumstances education of women needs to be used and effective means for their empowerment and education will prepare them to have a control over their lives. The mindset which militates against the girl child could not keep pace with economic progress and literacy.
The Government of India declared elementary education as a basic human right of every child. The Union Government of India has taken various steps to uplift the status of women by implementing various schemes including free education for girls. In order to achieve and promote girls education, UGC has introduced a Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child with an aim to compensate direct costs of girl education to all levels especially for such girls who happen to be the only girl child in their family
- Girl students who are admitted in the first year of PG courses in the following Universities/ Colleges and happen to be the only girl child in the family:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under section 2(f) & and 12(B) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC. Those Deemed Universities which do not receive funds from the Central/ State Government are not eligible institutions under the scheme.
- Universities/Institutions/College funded by Central/State Government.
- Institutes of National Importance.
- Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughter may also apply for scholarship under the aforesaid scheme. In a family if one son and one daughter is available then girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the scheme.
- Slots: 3000
- Age limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in first year of PG courses are eligible.
- The scheme is applicable to such single girl child who has taken admission in regular, fulltime first year Masters Degree course in any designated university or a post graduate college.
- Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme
- The candidates fulfilling the eligibility conditions are required to apply online on National Scholarship Portal after initiation of application process and notice to be published on UGC website.
- The host institution where the candidate is studying is required to verify the online application.
- It is expected from the institutions where student has taken admission in the first year PG course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute from girl students to pursue PG degree course in Universities/Colleges/Institutions
Amount of fellowship: Rs. 36,200/- p.a. for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
- 3,000 fresh scholarships will be awarded every year.
- The awardee can avail of other scholarship also during the tenure of this scholarship.
Candidates can contact the Help Desk for resolution of the technical problems: 0120 – 6619540.