The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur invites applications for the Students-Undergraduate Research Graduate Excellence (SURGE) 2021 Program.
Under the Students-Undergraduate Research Graduate Excellence (SURGE) program, students from IITK and other participating institutions undertake short duration, but focused research projects and push their intellectual abilities beyond those driven by the classroom.
The duration of the program is approximately 10 weeks and the starting date of the SURGE program is 14th June 2021, and the last date 22nd August 2021. An award plus a commendation certificate is given to those SURGE students who produce exceptional quality research during the period.
- Funding from SURGE (Institute Funded): Students working under “Funding from SURGE” only at IITK receive a stipend of Rs 12,500/- for 08 weeks duration.
- Funding from IITK Project (Project Funded): This will provide an opportunity to the students, to work on projects which will be funded by faculty members of IIT Kanpur.
- Self Funded: This will provide an opportunity to the students, to work on projects of faculty members of IIT Kanpur but would not be receiving any funding at all.
- Industry-IITK tie-up: This will provide an opportunity to the students, as individuals or in teams, to work on real-world projects proposed by the industry with mentors from both IIT Kanpur and the industry. The student stipend is to be paid by the industry. In SURGE 2021, only IIT Kanpur students can participate under the Industry-IITK tie-up.
SURGE for NON-IITK Students
Under this program, Non-IITK students will be eligible to apply for a summer project at IIT Kanpur. This year SURGE is open for all colleges. The eligibility criteria for Non-IITK students at the time of starting of internship are mentioned below:
- B.Tech/ BE/ B-Arch/ BS (3rd year completed),
- Five-year degree program (3rd year completed, 4th year completed)
- B.Sc/ B.A. (2nd year completed)
- M.Sc. 2-Year (1st year completed)
The students should have the following items ready before filling the online application form.
- Recent Passport size photograph in jpg format not more than 1MB.
- A single file in PDF format not more than 3 MB containing
- Research Proposal, not more than 500 words.
- Current Transcript.
- A single file in PDF format not more than 1 MB containing Recomendation Letter one of any faculty who belongs to the applicant’s institute.
- A single file in PDF format not more than 1 MB containing Recomendation Letter two of any faculty who belongs to the applicant’s institute.
Note: There is no fixed format for the recommendation letter under this category but the letter should be on the applicants’ institute letterhead or the respective faculty member’s letter head undersigned by that concerned faculty member who is familiar with your academic work. Surge Office will directly contact the recommenders for verification of recommendation letters.
How to Apply?
Candidates interested to apply for the internship need to pay an application fee of Rs. 500 (only for NON-IITK Students) using SBI Collect.
To apply online for the internship program, click here.