Applications are invited for JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship for the year 2022-23. Details of which are given below.
About the Scholarship
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship to Indians at the beginning of an academic year for full time Postgraduate/Ph.D./Postdoctoral/Research fellowships studies abroad, in all fields, irrespective of caste, creed, gender or community.
- Candidates should be Indians, not older than 45 years as on June 30, 2022, and graduates of a recognised Indian University with at least 60% marks on average in their undergraduate or post-graduate studies. If the undergraduate degree is not from a recognised University in India, candidates are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who did not get selected in the previous year/earlier for the loan scholarship and candidates who could not avail of the loan scholarship when they were selected are eligible to apply.
- Candidates who are at the end of the 1st year and entering into the second year of their overseas studies (Fall 2022 – Spring 2023) are also eligible to apply. This is applicable only if the minimum duration of the course is 2 years and there is at least one full academic year remaining to complete at the time of award of the loan scholarship, normally by July of any calendar year.
- J N Tata scholars who have fully repaid their existing loan scholarship amount are eligible to apply.
- Candidates in the final year of their degree courses and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply even if they do not have the admission/offer letters at the time of making the application, from the Universities to which they have applied for the academic year 2022-2023. However, they must update their applications status with the Endowment once they secured admission by sending an appropriate email to jnte[at]tatatrusts.org.
- Candidates going abroad for seminars, conferences, training, workshops, paper presentation, undergraduate studies and any post-graduate degree/diploma/certificates through Distance learning or online medium are not eligible to apply.
- The course to which candidates are admitted must be recognized as a Graduate Program (post-graduate in Indian terminology).
- Candidates must mention the Recommender’s name, designation and department, name of the college/university/organisation, city, contact numbers and their official email ID.
- Once the application is validated/submitted, your recommender will receive an email with information on how he or she can access the link to submit a recommendation on your behalf. As soon as they submit the letter, it will become a part of your application form.
- In case your recommender does not receive an email for requesting the LoR because the notification email is blocked by a “spam” filter as part of their email software, please ask your recommender to double-check their email messages and their spam folder, looking for a message from “[email protected]” with a subject line that says, “Letter of recommendation – J N Tata Endowment loan scholarship 2022-2023”.
- The LoR will be accepted up to one week’s time period from the date of submission of the application form. Please note that the last date for submission is Monday, 28th March , 2022.
- Please be aware that when you submit your online application, we will consider it as complete only when we receive your LoR from your recommender.
- Do not wait till the last date for submission. If your application is complete before the deadline, please submit it.
The selected scholars may also be recommended for a partial travel assistance (a maximum of Rs. 50,000/-) and gift award from our allied Trusts as may be decided at the sole discretion of the Trustees of the concerned Trusts.
The gift award ranges between Rs. 2,00,000/- and Rs. 7,50,000/- and depends on the academic performance of the candidates in the course for which they are awarded the JN Tata loan scholarship. The gift award will be considered only for those who submit the relevant academic performance proof such as a transcript and progress report.
- Apart from consistent academic performance, importance is given to participation in both co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- A good GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score is extremely important for those applying overseas. If you have received a low GRE score, it may be advisable to improve upon it, to increase your chances of receiving the loan scholarship.
- The statement of purpose carries considerable weight in the selection process. The team has provided some guidance on their web site on how you can construct a good statement of purpose. Please ensure that your statement of purpose is written by you and free from plagiarism.
- After the initial screening of applications, candidates are shortlisted to undergo an online test which will be based on the lines of Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), on Sunday, April 17, 2022. Timing and other details will be informed accordingly. Candidates shortlisted based on the online test will be called for an interview. Such candidates should upload scanned copies of the required documents on the application form portal in the upload documents section, before the time of the interview.